2015-10-27

Oiljang 오일장: Korea's Unique Food Market

[DO NOT COPY THIS ARTICLE]

Wait. It's already the 27th of October? How many days have passed since my last post... oh.
Well, I'll do my best to come back on schedule... But this is all I could post for now. Sorry!

This market is not made out of oil. And no, it is not a economic race for gas companies. Oil means 5 days. And I'll explain where that name came from. 



오일장, or the 5-day market, is a tradition that continues to this day on many countrysides across the nation. It is a place, in which a bunch of people selling food... sells food every five days. They are individuals, who stay for hours on a stool or sitting on newspaper, selling things.
Photo from the Korean Tourism Organization (한국관광공사), a government-based institute

Oiljang originated from salesmen who didn't know the calendar thousands, and I mean thousands of years ago, and decided to meet every 5 days.

Personally, I can describe the people selling food on these street markets very kind. Without measuring weight, they always give extra food (And once gave me tons of free food :D). This is called "정", or Jung. It is something similar to the English term "Sympathy", however the same thing done to strangers. "정", has no other word for it in any language on Earth. It is a simple, Korean term. And that's one thing I love about Korea.

Thanks for reading. Always subscribe for the quickest way to receive my blog posts.
Contact me at: thekoreanstory@outlook.com
And remember, I'm always looking for sponsors. https://www.paypal.me/andy5740
I'm also looking for extra writers! I can pay once I.. have a sponsor. (Or ads)

No comments:

Post a Comment